A NEW LIGHT ON TIFFANY: CLARA DRISCOLL AND THE TIFFANY GIRLS
May 8, 2011 to Aug 21, 2011
Louis Comfort Tiffany was one of the most recognized designers of his time in decorative arts, especially in stained glass. However, some lamps, windows and other decorative objects which were originally thought to be designed by Tiffany himself are now recognized as designed and executed by a special group of women who worked for Tiffany at the turn of the 20th century.
The “Tiffany Girls”, as they were called, worked for Louis Comfort Tiffany in the Women’s Glass Cutting Department of Tiffany Studios along with their department head, Ohio-born designer Clara Driscoll (1861-1944).
This ground-breaking exhibition explores the turn of the 20th century New York women who created many of Tiffany Studios' celebrated decorative objects. Included are approximately 70 Tiffany lamps, windows, mosaics, enamels and ceramics, as well as pages of newly discovered documents written by designer Clara Driscoll.
Numerous education programs are presented in support of this exhibition, including a special Family Gallery and Guide made possible through the generous local support of Wells Fargo. A companion catalogue is available for sale at The Museum Gallery Store.
The exhibition at the New-York Historical Society was generously supported by Robert G. Goelet, Barbara and Richard Debs, Mr. and Mrs. John Klingenstein, Donna and Marvin Schwartz, Barrie and Deedee Wigmore, Sue Ann Weinberg, Lois Chiles, S. Parker Gilbert, the Elizabeth Morse Genius Foundation, and Arlie Sulka.
IMAGE: Dragonfly shade, probably designed by Clara Driscoll pre-1906 Library base designed pre-1906
New-York Historical Society Gift of Dr. Egon Neustadt
MasterWorks Sponsorship by Fremont’s Fine Foods
THANK YOU TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS FOR ENABLING
THIS EXHIBITION AND RELATED PROGRAMMING.
Lead Sponsor Education Gallery Sponsor Audio Tour Sponsor